Harris County Property Tax – Over 65 Exemptions
If you are 65 or older and live in a house in Harris County, you definitely need to remember to file for the over 65 exemption.
Benefits of the over 65 exemptions:
- Deductions for your home appraisal value for school, county and even MUD taxes
- School taxes are capped at the amount you paid the first year you qualify (unless you add-on to your house)
- You do NOT need to be 65 years old at the first of the year to qualify
- Over 65 deductions on top of your deductions you get with your homestead exemptions
Here are the current deduction amount for Cy-Fair School District:
- Cy-Fair ISD: $25,000
- Harris County: $160,000
- Lone Start College: $75,000
- MUD: Most range between $10,000 to $20,0000
I explained how the homestead exemption worked in Cy-Fair in this blog post. The below table expands on that example with the addition of the over 65 deductions on a $250,000 appraised value home in Coles Crossing MUD #365.
[tp_table id=5 /]